Deal of the day: Real-World Functional Programming
Some time ago, I received my copies of Real-World Functional Programming. I started working on it back in May 2008 and as many people who had more experience with writing books told me, it took longer than I was expecting! Anyway, I have to say, it was worth it, holding the actual printed book with my name on the cover is just fantastic!
The goal of the book is to present functional programming concepts and ideas in a readable form. I wanted to create a book that will teach you how to think functionally without using the usual shock therapy that people usually feel when seeing functional programming for the first time. There are already a couple of reviews that suggest I was quite successful:
- Functional Programming for the Real World, by Tomas Petricek and Jon Skeet, has been a very helpful book for moving to F# from C#, as the authors do a fantastic job of helping to explain the differences between OOP and FP.
James Black at Amazon.com
- This book isn’t just a simple introduction to programming in F#; it’s an introductory text on functional programming covering the many reasons why it is time for this programming paradigm to finally be accepted by mainstream programmers. And it also contains much more...
CliveT, Software Engineer at Red Gate Software
- ... and there are many other great comments about the book at Manning book page.
Deal of the day (January 24)
Finally, here is one great news if you're interested in getting the book! Real-World Functional Programming is Manning's Deal of the Day this Sunday, January 24. On this day, the print book is available for $20 from the Manning website, with code
- RE: Deal of the day: Real-World Functional Programming by Alex Oleynikov (1/24/2010 7:30:00 PM)
Thanks for sharing - to get both the print book and the eBook for only $20 (+$5.25 S&H) is very nice.
I was following the early chapters of your book for a few months and looking forward to reading the whole thing now.
- RE: Deal of the day: Real-World Functional Programming by Tomas (1/24/2010 10:29:10 PM)
I'm glad that the blog post reached you in time :-). Even with worldwide shipping (which is $13), it's still a great deal!
- RE: Deal of the day: Real-World Functional Programming by Ben (1/25/2010 9:10:27 AM)
Got mine on Friday... It's going to be difficult to get any work done today!
- RE: Deal of the day: Real-World Functional Programming by Ben (1/26/2010 10:37:15 AM)
Got my paper copy the other day too. Very Very Very happy so far. My productivity may take a temporary hit :)
- RE: Deal of the day: Real-World Functional Programming by Jamie (1/28/2010 5:50:12 PM)
Hi Alex and Ben, Just want to encourage you to post reviews on Amazon once you've completed the book. Thanks and enjoy!
Manning Marketing Team
- RE: Deal of the day: Real-World Functional Programming by Jimbo Kern (1/28/2010 8:32:11 PM)
I cannot afford the $49 price. Is this still at $20?
- RE: Deal of the day: Real-World Functional Programming by Tomas (1/31/2010 1:21:09 AM)
Jimbo Kern Unfortunately, this was only a time-limited offer. However Amazon has a little lower price (as far as I can tell). You can also subscribe to Manning newsletter - they often have some deals that you may be interested in.
- RE: Deal of the day: Real-World Functional Programming by Tomas (1/31/2010 1:23:24 AM)
Ben Sorry about the productivity hit, but I hope you'll like it! It's good to see a comment from someone familiar (from StackOverflow :-)).